Last day at the Cancer Center.
Emily and I are packing up the desk after the final day of clinic, and we're both exhausted. 62 patients and 15 chemo treatments in 4 days.. Emily said it well: "how we are still alive, I don't know". Yesterday afternoon around 2pm, a young girl with ALL (acute lymphoblastic leukemia) finally made it to the Center. She usually comes much earlier in the morning, but due to the rain in the south, she and her father had been held up all day on buses. Her treatments take over 9 hours to complete, but we decided to start it anyway. This meant that she wouldn't be done until 11:45pm. Nurse Obi stayed at the clinic with them (thru a small blackout) and then brought them to Val's where I kept an eye on her throughout the night. She usually stays in the hospital, but this was the first time the treatment would be given at the center, since she usually handles it very well. And she did again. An early wake up for us this morning, as I had to walk them to the bus terminal (7mins walking) for their 5am bus... But I got to watch the sunrise as I walked back.
Now we are going to spend the weekend in Mexico! Chetumaul and Calderitas. It's cheaper than going to the Cayes, and equally as pretty. I can't wait. Tomorrow, we're taking a 3 hour bus ride with some of her friends then staying there until late in the day Sunday. The beaches look really nice, and Emily's been there before (aka parents don't freak out). I'll be sure to take lots of pictures! Time to go practice my español!
No comments:
Post a Comment