Sunday, 12 June 2011

Dangriga!

Yay I finally got this thing to work! Happy Father's day daddy!

I slept in this morning and am now just hanging out at the hostel (Val's) with Donna the awesome woman who runs the place. Since leaving the Sewanee group on Friday morning I've done a lot of relaxing and catching up on sleep. Thats what 10 days of 6-7am wake ups will do to ya!
At first i was afraid it would be a little lonely, but soon I met Sara- a girl from the states traveling through Mexico and Central America. She knew some of the locals and introduced me to them. Here there's also E, another guy from the states, very outgoing and has a nonprofit ministry? He's done work in Ghana and is very interested in drumming. Friday night, after an amazing dinner of fish at the Riverside Cafe, he and this other guy (a third year in med school from canada whose name i can not remember haha) and i all went down to this outdoor bar to listen to the local drumming. There were 4 large drums, a guitarist, one guy playing a turtle shell and another playing the conch shell. Very good music and very talented drummers!
Saturday morning Sara and I walked through a downpour to the market for breakfast. Huge meal of eggs, beans and fry jacks (dough that's been baked over the stove- delicious). E was going down south to Hopkins, a cute Garifauna town, so I though I might go meet him at the bus stop, but got there just as the bus was pulling out. So i walked over to the cancer center to see if they were open on Saturdays- they're not. Soo i wandered back to the hostel and read and practiced my solitaire game :)
Later in the afternoon a brittish guy named Merlin came in and so did a couple from argentina. Merlin's a classical drummer, so after a dinner of street food (everywhere and greasy but good) we went back to the drumming. I think there were different guys who were even better!
Sundays here seem pretty lazy. There is hardly any one out and about. But this afternoon at 3 there's a soccer game that I'm definitely going to go check out!

more later! miss yall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment