June 15th is the start of lobster season in Belize, so naturally I ate eggs for dinner. Haha! I was so starving after work that I ate a huge lunch, so lobster for dinner tomorrow- stay tuned.
This morning, work at the clinic started at 8:15a. Nurse Obi showed me how she mixed the different chemo drugs (apparently that's what those tiny saline bags are for), and actually let me do some measuring and mixing. The two women patients were very cooperative even though you could tell the therapy hurt. I asked Emily why no one was seriously reacting to the chemo (hair loss, vomiting etc) and she said that everyone who gets therapy that will make them nauseous immediately gets some zofran before treatment starts, and that only really aggressive chemo causes hair loss. Nurse Obi made me watch closely as she started both IVs and asked me questions about starting them and what I thought about how it was done... im thinking she's going to let me start some soon!
After the two patients finished treatment and left I asked Nurse Obi if I could come with her to the hospital to see some of what she does there as a head midwife (she's been at the cancer center for 3 years, since it opened, but is also still a nurse at the Southern Regional hospital here in town). And she said she could definitely work something out for me! So now I get the best of both worlds!
There are no more patents until next week when Dr. Grant comes to town, and then it's going to be crazyy! So I'm going to go in in the morning and use their internet (free!) to start my MCAT studying :) Dr. Laura Bownes is taking it tomorrow (Thurs) so everyone wish her luck!
bed time, good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment